Mold: Identifying and Treatment

There are a lot of things that must be taken care of in a home. The mundane tasks of sweeping, vacuuming and dusting can get old. However, you’ll miss these chores if you are in the middle of dealing with mold. Mold can be a serious pain to clean up. Hopefully, you never have to deal with this issue in your home, but if you do, here are some tips to help you through it.

How to look for signs?

The first step in dealing with this issue is recognizing there is actually a problem. This can be hard to do since mold likes to grow in wet dark places and hides behind walls and in crevices. There are a few hot-spot places you should actively be watching as well. Anywhere that has had water damage is susceptible to this issue. Any leaks can also cause conditions for it to grow. If you notice your home is extra humid, or has a lot of places with condensation, you need to be extra careful. Sometimes mold will emit a strange smell, so if you notice a smell then be sure to check for signs.

Why is mold such a problem?

Sure, it sounds gross. If it’s visible it’s not exactly pretty to look at. And the smell of mold is not pleasant. But on top of this, mold can cause serious problems to your home and to your health.

Also Read  Hosting the Perfect Backyard Barbecue: A Good Home Health Guide

Surprisingly, it actually eats away at things like glue and wood. This means that if you have a mold problem, your house is slowly deteriorating. If you don’t find it quick enough, the mold can eat away things to a point where they can no longer be repaired.

Even worse than damaging your home is the damage that it can do to your health. Breathing it in can make your nose itch, throat sore, eyes watery, irritate your skin, or make you cough. Some people will even suffer from lung infections if they are exposed to it.

How to deal with mold?

If you’ve found, or suspect mold, something needs to be done. Mold cleanup can be done in a few different ways. If your problem is visible and not very bad, it can be wiped up with a damp rag. Using bleach can help kill the signs and ensure you’ve cleaned all of it up.

For more serious cases of this, and for growing behind walls, ceilings, or under the floor, it’s wise to get a professional company to do the cleaning. Some molds are toxic and are dangerous to try and remove without the proper tools and chemicals.

A professional company can also inform you when something has been so damaged by mold that your best option is to replace it rather than clean it. Companies can use dry fog or wet mist to clean and remove it. Wet mist methods normally require tearing down walls that have the issues. Dry fog is a less damaging method that uses smaller chemical particles to get through porous materials (like a wall infected with the issue) to choke it out and kill it.

Also Read  Laundry Hacks You Need in Your Life

You Might Also Like

No Comments

Leave a Reply