Toenail fungus infections are something that none of us likes to see and can be quite terrifying to experience. Nevertheless, you should know that these infections are quite common, as they affect around 7% of the population. They can occur due to various reasons, including:
- Poor hygiene,
- Nail injuries,
- Cleaning products,
- Abundant perspiration,
- Acrylic nails,
- Health conditions such as diabetes for example.
Even though such condition may be scary and painful at first, it is important to understand that it can be easily countered. Luckily, you can mitigate and eliminate the infection on your own at home, without huge expenses. If you, or someone that you know, have a toenail fungus infection, keep in mind that it is best to treat it right away before it begins to spread.
Best Ways to Get Rid of Toenail Fungus Naturally
You can get rid of toenail fungus infections naturally at your home simply by applying remedies that have proven themselves over and over again. In this article, the most effective and accessible remedies are presented.
1. Apple Cider Vinegar and Baking Soda Soak
Apple Cider Vinegar is a natural remedy for numerous conditions due to its antiseptic properties. It is very effective at eliminating toenail fungus and recovering nail health. As it is also acidic, apple cider vinegar is great at balancing the pH levels of your nails. Balanced pH levels help in preventing further spreading of the infection.
Baking soda, on the other hand, is not capable of killing the fungus. Instead, it is an effective fungistatic, which means that it is efficient at preventing fungus from spreading and growing.
Together, apple cider vinegar and baking soda form an effective home remedy that is simple to perform and doesn’t cost much.
- 3 – 5 tablespoons of baking soda
- A bowl of water
- One cup of apple cider vinegar
- A bucket for foot bath
- A towel or paper towels
- 40 minutes of your time
- Mix apple cider vinegar and water in a bucket that you will soak your foot/feet in. Make sure that you add sufficient amount of water so that it will completely surround the infected areas.
- Soak the affected toenails in the mixture and let them remain in for around 15 minutes. The vinegar will kill off fungus.
- Pat dry your feet using a towel or paper towels.
- Prepare a fresh mixture, whereas this time use the same amount of water with baking soda instead of apple cider vinegar.
- Soak your feet once again for approximately 15 minutes. Baking soda will inhibit the growth of fungus.
- Pat dry the affected areas.
- Repeat the process up to 3 times per day until the infection is eliminated completely.
2. Tea Tree Oil and Olive Oil Rub
Tea tree oil and olive oil are rich in antibacterial and antifungal properties, which make them excellent natural disinfectants. They are also very effective when it comes to treating various skin conditions and infections. If you are wondering how to get rid of toenail fungus naturally, you can stop right here. Consider this remedy to deal with your fungus infection.
Besides providing great benefits in the aspect of toenail fungus infection, these oils are also a popular choice due to their ability to eliminate the unpleasant smell accompanying infected toenails.
- 1 teaspoon of tea tree oil
- 1 teaspoon of olive oil
- A few cotton balls
- 20 minutes of your time
- Mix tea tree oil together with olive oil. Alternatively, you can also use orange oil in combination with other oils.
- Soak a cotton ball in the oil and use it to gently scrub the affected nails with it. When the cotton ball becomes dirty, replace it with a new one.
- Use all of the oil and then let it dry on its own.
- Repeat this treatment twice per day, preferably in the morning and evening.
Alternative: Fill up a bucket with enough water to soak the affected areas in. Then, add 10 drops of tea tree oil to the water and soak your feet for at least 20 minutes. Proceed with pat drying your feet and repeat the process 2 times per day until the infection is gone.
3. Honey Treatment
If you are not yet convinced how to get rid of toenail fungus naturally, consider performing honey treatment. Honey is not only good for eating, but is also a popular natural remedy for various conditions. As it is rich in antifungal properties, it makes an excellent remedy for toenail fungus.
Furthermore, when honey is applied to the affected area, it draws toxins out of the wounds caused by infection.
- A tablespoon of honey
- A gauze or a bandage
- 10 minutes of your time plus 6 hours of waiting time
- Take one tablespoon of honey and spread it over the affected toenails. Wash your hands when you switch between toes to prevent spreading of the fungus.
- Let the honey stay on for around 10 minutes.
- Wrap the affected toenails with a bandage or gauze while the honey remains on.
- Leave the gauze/bandage on for approximately 6 hours.
- Rinse your feet with lukewarm water and proceed to pat dry your toenails.
- Repeat this remedy at least once per day until the infection is eliminated.
Treating toenail fungus can be quite easy as long as you are determined to get rid of it. What is even easier is giving it your best to try to prevent it. Keep your feet clean and dry, and avoid re-wearing socks after they have been used. If the infection does happen, then make sure to start treating it right away before it gets the chance to grow and spread on other toenails. Best of luck in keeping your toenails clean and healthy!
Amanda Roberts is a professional blogger and a podiatry student. She is an enthusiast who loves to write on several niches, particularly in foot health, including plantar fasciitis, toenail fungus, foot massage and reflexology. Read more about her blog posts on foot health at Feet Remedies.